Owing to the limitations of varied conventional elements starting from aluminium to steel, cement and wood; the manufacturers innovated a new composite material known as fibre-reinforced plastic (FRP) or fibreglass. FRP has managed to acquire much popularity and the diverse products made out of it found applications in the extensive industrial, residential and commercial sectors.
- At present, almost every constructional building is installing stair nosing and FRP handrail systems. It is due to their exceptional traction and anti-slip properties that maximum safety is ensured.
- Grating is a collection of identical, elongated and parallel elements, which are placed perpendicularly to form a grid like structure. Made out of fibreglass, this product is used as bridge decks and filters for covering the drains, air vents, etc.
- Ladder is perhaps the most important tool that has found importance in all kinds of domains. Nowadays, individuals are opting for ladders made out of fibreglass because they offer excellent grips, thus, assuring the safety of the climbers.
In the following write-up, let us explore as to why FRP or fibreglass is considered the best material to construct ladders, handrails, gratings, etc.
Distinctive Characteristics of FRP
- Fibreglass is noted for having immense strength because the composite is manufactured through pultrusion- a procedure in which the fibres are reinforced by continuous moulding. Due to the tremendous enduring capabilities, products like FRP ladders could withstand extreme pressure, heavy loads as well as environmental inconsistencies.
- The composite has quite successfully become a favourite of manufacturers due to its light weight. This characteristic allows easy installation of all FRP products. Moreover, the structures could be moved from one place to another without any sort of hassle. Thus, one does not to hire additional labour or exert any effort.
- Usage of chemicals is quite common in the industrial sectors and many of these are immensely damageable. However, FRP products are not affected and could be used in all kinds of settings because they are resistant to corrosive chemicals. In addition, the material is impervious to heat, fire, rot and insect infestation.
- Unlike the conventional materials, fibreglass assures safety to the consumers. Owing to its non-conductive and dielectric properties, the composite could be effectually used in the electrical plants. For instance, FRP grating is increasingly used in detrimental environs and guarantees utmost protection to the workers.
- Finally, yet importantly, fibreglass is exceptionally durable. This material is noted to last for prolonged periods with little or no maintenance. It is also readily available in the market in varied shapes as well as sizes and that too at reasonable rates.
The aforementioned pointers are some of the necessary features that substantiate the importance of fibreglass in the modern era. No matter what structure one would like to construct, it is FRP that comes first in everyone’s minds.